Thursday, May 24, 2007

Double Booked

Be warned. In New York City, there will be a minimum of 3 events you feel you MUST attend in a single evening. Resist becoming OCD as I do with worry over making the right choice, and accept that it is not humanly possible to be in both Times Square and the Upper East Side at the same time. If you really must, double book like I did tonight:

Jazz at Lincoln Center
Rev. Kimberleigh Jordan is at it again with programs exploring spirituality in art, this time with musicians from the Wynton Marsalis Septet at Jazz at Lincoln Center. The talk, which took place in a rehearsal space before a performance of In This House, On This Morning, explored the influence of church music on this amazing gospel jazz score. Trombonist Wycliffe Gordan and trumpeter Wess "Warmdaddy" Anderson offered joyous and spirited insights into the development of this seminal American musical creation. Unfortunately, I didn't get to hear the concert because I had to run off to my second gig....

Amy Sedaris & Andy Borowitz at Caroline's
For me, there is nothing more delightful than a brilliantly witty man, and they don't get more gawfaw giving than Andy Borowitz. So I left some great jazz to go to his show Next Week's News at Caroline's comedy club. You might know Borowitz from VH1's Best Week Ever, The Borowitz Report or his guest appearances on CNN, but I just learned he is a regular host of The Moth which makes me wuv him even more. He may be a take-no-prisoners satirist onstage, but in our chat after the show he was super sweet. Awwww.

I also wuv Amy Sedaris, but then who doesn't drool over the most untethered, fearless female humorist out there (and I mean, out there.) Her give and take-take-take with Borowitz and twisted tips on entertaining had me doubled over in a delicious hysteria. I also appreciated that she did not run screaming from me when I gushed over her after the show.

Bonus: Standing right by Jerry Stiller and Anne Meara as they told Amy Sedaris how great she was.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I met the original Buckwheat in thec mid 70s. It was in the mens room at Cliffords Bar and Grill on w, 72nd. He was plastered. I was too of course but I do remember buying him a drink.

Anonymous said...

I saw a very young Natalie Cole at Buddy Rich's jazz club in 1974 or 75. Also saw the Battle of the bands- Maynard Ferguson and Buddy Rich's big bands.

At the Improv, saw JJ Walker and Andy Kaufman before their careers took off.