Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Science and Art on a Snowy New York Day

Amazing what this city offers.

This morning I went to the Jeff Wall exhibit at the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA). Pretty extraordinary -- powerful staged gigantic photos that succeed in telling a story, and thus take you far outside yourself. Great stuff. Some of the work tends to be dark and broody. For fun, see if you can count the number of potential serial killers he has lurking about (kidding, kinda).

At the suggestion of my friend Ann, I became a MoMA member. This entitles me to free access to all exhibits and films, discounts on lectures, members-only previews, etc. Better yet, I can get friends in for $5 each. So if there is something you want to see, let me know first so I can save you from the normal $20 entry fee. Learn more on the exhibits, membership, etc. here.

MoMA has always been special to me. When I'd come up to NYC during my 20's, the museum would be my mecca. I'd make a bee line for it, see all the cool modern art, and then head off into the city. It is thrilling to have such easy access to it 15 or so years later.

This evening, it was up to Columbia University to hear Oliver Sacks, renowned neurologist and author of such books as "The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat". His topic was on "Music and the Mind." He was incredible -- filled with good humor, fascinating case studies and sharp intelligence. A longtime fan of his work, I felt incredibly honored to hear his lecture. And it was FREE! Check out Columbia's Web site for details on visiting lecturers.

As I woke up to a light dusting of snow on the ground, making the beauty of Central Park just breathtaking, I had to again pinch myself that I am really living here. Gratitude shout out!

1 comment:

Ming the Merciless said...

Agree on MoMA! I had a membership a couple years ago and went almost once a month, and took lots of friends there for $5.