Monday, June 11, 2007

Tony Tony Tonys!!!

Tonight was my first experience with the Tony Awards as a New York City resident, so I hightailed it down to Radio City Music Hall to see the stars arrive in all their finery, including Melina Kanakaredes, David Hyde Pierce (Tony winner!), Donny Osmond, most-awarded-play-Spring Awakening's Jonathan Groff, Florance Henderson, Zack Braff, Tommy Tune, Jane Krakowski, Robert Sean Leonard, Christine Ebersole (Tony winner!), Taye Diggs, Idina Menzel, Liev Schriber, Naomi Watts, Audra McDonald, Angela Lansbury, Felicity Huffman, Neil Patrick Harris, Judd Hirsch, Cynthia Nixon, Frank Langella (Tony winner!), Billy Crudup (Tony winner!), Marcia Gay Harden and the cast of A Chorus Line.


You can always buy a ticket to the event but it will run you a couple hundred bucks, not including the black tie attire. So taking the no-cost approach, I got in on the excitement by standing by the police barricades and screaming out play titles like an uber drama groupie. See full coverage of winners here, along with earlier Newbie NYC posts on Frank Langella's winning turn in Frost/Nixon and the award nominees.

Bonus: Going to a real-live NYC Tony Awards viewing party at the amazing Ann and Rick's, being fed Ann's food worthy of Gourmet mag, and hanging with a group of cultured, interesting & artistic souls-including the kids! I love this town!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We even have Tony Parties down here in North Carolina (granted, I was the one hosting it)! I was the only one who knew anything about the plays, and I was talking up Spring Awakening the whole time. All my friends were wondering why I was so excited about it, and why it kept winning, but when they saw the medley at the end and I played them a few songs off the soundtrack, they instantly thought it looked really cool. One of my friends is going to NYC in a few weeks, and originally they weren't going to see a play, but she said she might just have to get tickets now.

Hooray for spreading the love of Broadway!